Stoney Creek is centrally located within the Golden Horseshoe adjacent to Lake Ontario and encompasses a portion of the Niagara Escarpment. Residents of Stoney Creek can take advantage of the numerous parks and conservation areas within the City, some of which are located on or near the City's 9.6 kilometers of lake frontage.
The geography of Stoney Creek allows residents to settle in either an urban, suburban or rural area - all within minutes of major community shopping, recreational facilities and employment opportunities. The maximum traveling time between any two points in the City is less than 30 minutes and those who live and work in the City can even enjoy lunch in the comfort of their own home.
Stoney Creek is located within the Golden Horseshoe with the shores of Lake Ontario on one side and the Niagara Escarpment on the other. Numerous parks and conservation areas are located within the City including almost 10 kilometers of lake frontage. Many of the residents of Stoney Creek commute to the larger urban centres of Hamilton and Toronto for employment.
One of the first residents to the area known as James Lee and his family emigrated to Saltfleet Township (later Stoney Creek) as Loyalists in the 1790s in the aftermath of the American Revolution. His son, John, built the first log cabin home on a plot of land from his wife, Mary Moore. One of his descendants, Erland Lee and his wife Janet were instrumental in the founding of the Women's Institutes organization in 1897. The constitution of the first Women's Institute was drafted in their house. In 1972, the Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario purchased the Lee home, preserving it as an important historic memorial to the Institutes beginnings. In 2003 the museum was designated as a National Historic Site of Canada.