The community of Palmerston was originally formed when the railway decided to build a junction and maintenance sheds there. Once the location was verified people began buying up land around it for businesses and homes.
A community was being formed although not officially. In 1870 the railway station was named Palmerston. Palmerston was originally a separate town, but was amalgomated with other communities to create the Town of Minto.