Originally named Little Falls, Fergus was renamed after its Scottish founder Adam Fergusson. In 1833, in partnership with a fellow Scot, James Webster, he purchased over 7,000 acres of uncleared land in Nichol Township. Attracted by the abundant water power they laid out the town site of Fergus.
Many of the Scottish immigrants who settled here were stone masons, and their architectural tradition is evident in the numerous 19 th century buildings made of local limestone.
Other early inhabitants included many newly freed slaves from the United States. The freed slaves formed "Pierpoint Settlement", named after their leader Richard Pierpoint, in Garafraxa Township - around what is now Scotland Street in Fergus.
Located on the banks of the beautiful Grand River, the Fergus Market
is a must for shoppers and culture lovers alike. The market is housed in one of the most architecturally significant buildings in Fergus, Ontario: the historic Beatty Brothers Farm Implement Manufacturing building that was built in the early 1870's.
Fergus unlike many communities at that time had its own hospital, the Royal Alexandra. Dr. Abraham Groves was a famous surgeon who was a pioneer in the use of antiseptics and sterilization during surgery. He was also the first surgeon in Canada to perform an appendectomy. Prior to this, people with appendicitis would almost certainly die.
Fergus is proud of its Scottish heritage, back from the days when Scottish settlers founded " Little Falls". Visitors coming to Fergus in August, can celebrate Scottish culture, heritage, traditions and the "Wee bit o' Scot" in you.
The Fergus Scottish Festival and Highland Games are a three day event the second weekend in August. Visitors worldwide enjoy all aspects of traditional Scottish culture. Highland Dancing, Piping, Avenue of the Clans, as well as a variety of food and craft vendors make for a perfect weekend for local residents and visitors alike.