The City of Welland is located on the Welland Ship Canal, almost midway between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. In the early 1800’s the Cook brothers come from Pennsylvania as Loyalists and established flour mills on Lyons Creek. In 1814, the last year of the war the American invaders burned down Niagara-on-the-Lake and half of Fort Erie opposite Buffalo. In mid-October a small army was sent out from the fort to take Cooks Mills for what grain and flour the mills might contain. The Canadian forces under the Marquis of Tweedale, met the invaders a short distance east of the Mills. The battle lasted two days without decisive results. On the third day, the 20th of October, 1814, the Americans withdrew to the fort and on the following day crossed the Niagara to Buffalo and the war was over.
Known as "The Rose City", the city of Welland has the largest Francophone population in the region. The Chippawa Rose Gardens feature over 50 rose beds and thousands of blooms. Welland celebrates a variety of events including The Rose Festival in June, the Niagara Regional Exhibition in September and the Niagara Food Festival in October.
Welland 's Festival of Arts Murals attracts artists from across Canada to create "larger than life" murals on numerous buildings in strategic locations throughout the City. Twenty seven of these murals currently depict various aspects of Welland's history, heritage and culture.