Point Clark Lighthouse National Site of Canada, Ontario
Point Clark Lighthouse is located 35 km north of Goderich on Lake Huron. The lighthouse was built between 1855 and 1859 to warn sailors of the shoal about three kilometers off shore in Lake Huron. Its elegant proportions and limestone exterior are typical of the six “Imperial” towers built in the region, a lighthouse style rarely seen elsewhere in Canada. The 87 ft stone tower is topped by a cast iron 12 sided lantern. A bronze lion head at each angle in the eaves directs water away from the tower. The lighthouse is operational to this day, and is a reminder of the role that lighthouses played in the navigation of the Great Lakes.