Walkerton is a town located along the Saugeen River apx 75 km southwest of Owen Sound. Effective January 1st, 1999, the former Township of Brant (incorporated in 1854), Township of Greenock (incorporated in 1856) and Town of Walkerton (incorporated in 1871) amalgamated to form the new Municipality of Brockton. The town, named after Joseph Walker was incorporated in 1871. The first store in Walkerton was owned by John Valentine in the early 1850’s and was located opposite Joseph Walker’s log Tavern at the corner of Durham and McNab streets.
There are two golf courses in the area, a nine hole and an 18 hole. During the winter months curling is a popular recreation and Walkerton has it’s own Walkerton Golf and Curling Club. Take a stroll through any of the many parks in the area including Centennial Park or the natural sights that The Saugeen River Trail in Walkerton has to offer. Over 6 kms long, this trail, designed for walking & cycling, provides a great chance for people to enjoy the river. Canoe docks, the CPR Lookout Platform, a washroom, benches & picnic tables are available.