Milverton is a 20 minute drive from Listowel or Stratford, amongst beautiful rolling hills and bucolic countryside in the heart of Perth East. Best known for its lush green fields and fertile farmlands the town is rich in Mennonite and Irish culture. Around 1850, an American named Andrew West opened a hotel in the vicinity. It soon became the focal point around which a small community known as West Corners sprang up. William Pollard developed a shale oil extraction works in the mid 1850s. In 1854 the community had a post office and some years later the name of the village was changed to Milverton, supposedly after a town in Somerset, England. With the arrival of rail in 1877 the village of Milverton was now able to export their agricultural products to markets and the community thrived.
The town has recently built a new community complex which includes an outdoor pool, community hall and a state of the art arena with year round ice. Major events throughout the year include the Lion’s Snowfest, the Milverton Rodeo, and a huge annual quilt, horse and household auction.