Midland, a town located on Georgian Bay, was originally settled by the Huron native people in the 14th century. Notable sites in Midland include the Jesuit mission of Sainte-Marie among the Hurons, which is now a living museum depicting missionary life in the 17th century, and the Martyrs' Shrine, a church commemorating the Canadian Martyrs, eight missionaries from Sainte-Marie who were martyred during the Huron-Iroquois wars. Also nearby is the Wye Marsh Wildlife Centre. The marsh provides habitat for Trumpeter Swans, Black Terns and Least Bitterns.
Settled by farming families in the 1840's, Midland was known by several names including Mundy's Bay, Hartley's Landing, and Abedar (named for the Welsh hometown of the first postmaster and retail merchant, Mr. Thomas Gladstane). Although largely dependent on the pine forests of Georgian Bay Midland was a successful port until 1954 when the shipyards moved their entire operation to Collingwood.
Today Midland is a vacation centre on southern Georgian Bay. Boating , swimming, fishing, windsurfing, golfing and scuba diving are just a few of the summer activities to be found in the area, while ice fishing, snowmobiling and cross country skiing during the winter months make Midland a year round tourist destination.